- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas
- Test smoke alarms every month by pressing the TEST button.
- Replace smoke alarm batteries in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions, at least once a year. If an alarm “chirps” or “beeps” to indicate low batteries, it should be replaced immediately
- Smoke alarms should be replaced in accordance with the manufactures’s instructions, at least once every ten years.
- Consider purchasing an escape ladder if one of the designated escape routes from the second or third story rooms will be a window.
- Talk with all family members about fire escape plan and practice the plan twice a year
- If a fire occurs in your home, GET OUT, STAY OUT and CALL FOR HELP. Never go back inside for anything or anyone